I love sister Beck! Through reading her talks over the last couple of months I've been able to gain a better understanding of my life as a young mother of two with an extremely busy husband who needs my support.
Being a mom and wife has been a hard transition for me. I think the reason being, that I just jumped it to it without thinking and without understanding what an important task lye ahead of me.
Last week we went to Utah and stayed at my oldest sister's house. I was looking at her calendar on the wall and I noticed she had written Julie B. Beck, Saturday 10-12:00am. I was so excited. I've been reading all her talks and idolizing her and she was coming to speak to my sisters stake. Perfect!
Her talk was awesome and she is even more awesome. Sister Beck talked, she did about 10 questions and answers, and then finished talking about the Holy Ghost.
I'll share a couple of my favorite questions and answers:
Question 1: What is your number one concern for the women in the RS?
Answer: The women are not aligned with the Lord. They are distracted.
2 Nephi 28: 20-22 Nephi is seeing a vision of our day.
20 For behold, at that day shall he rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good.
Sister Beck: I worry about angry women. Especially those who anger against that which is good.
21 And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion: yea, Zion prospereth, all is well-and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.
Sister Beck: I worry about apathetic women. We think all is well. We accept the bad and don't stand up for the truth.
22 And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none-and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.
Sister Beck: I worry about women who feel entitled. She owes me, or my husband owes me.
I think Nephi's vision was right on and these are the things that we struggle with. Satan is leading us away from God with these false teachings. I know I've felt all these things.
Question 2: What can we who have so much do to help those who have so little.
Answer:
a- Raise our sons to be righteous missionaries that can go and teach. Sister Beck said, every time a missionaries is sent out faith increases in the world and the world is therefore a better more righteous place.
b- Raise our daughters to enter the temple. And to do temple work.
c- tithing, fast offering and humanitarian funds
I thought it was interesting that she talked about being a good mother first. And about raising our kids. I know that is not what I would of thought of. But I believe she is right.
I just love being able to feel the spirit testify to me that my work as a mother and wife is the most important work. I'm so grateful for Sister Beck and her understanding and thankful to be able to listen to her and gain understanding through her.
Alissa